Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What About the Children

I read a startling statistic the other day, 68 times more per capita on a felon than is spent on a church ministry for kids who are seeking the Lord. Perhaps you don't agree with my stand on this, but facts are facts, and the fact is that we need to reach children while they are still children, because if we do that, perhaps we could cut down the number of felons. There is no doubt that things have changed in this day and age, and danger lurks at places, but I truly believe if we give a solid foundation when the time comes children will be able to do things on their own, but not only that, they will know that when things are touch they can always lean on the Lord when times are tough.


 

I try to remind my thirteen and a half year old niece of just how much the Lord loves her, and we love her. Lately she has been haunted by nightmares of something that happened when she was little, but she knows that she has people who care, and that Jesus loves her. That foundation not just of faith, but of love but at the same time I do worry, because of the way things are, I want my niece to get an education that will help her to achieve her dreams, but even more than that I want her to have a foundation in faith, and so I often find myself praying for my niece. She has gone through a lot, and needs stability and needs to no that she is loved, which I make sure she does know, as does my Mom "Grandma" And my brother "Uncle Sean." When Amber is with us she is surrounded by people who care and who will talk to her and help her figure things out, I know how difficult it is to be a thirteen year old girl, but she deals with things that I did not have to deal with, because it was a different era.

That one statistic I read in has had me thinking for the last few days and has got me thinking and then when Amber came up today, after dealing with a difficult few days I once again find myself thinking of ways we could better serve our youth. I may not have a child of my own, but my niece is like a daughter to me, and I will do what I can to help her not just become some statistic, I am believing she is going to serve the Lord and show the world what it is to live for Christ…

God Bless

Michelle

No comments: